Earlier this spring, Hannah heard the lawn service mowing our lawn. "Do you hear that?" she'll say with her hand cupped to her ear. I told her it was the mower. Ever since, she has had a fascination with the mower.
When she'd hear the mower, she'd run to a window to peek out. If we were outside, she would look for the mower. One day, in an effort to get her to come in for a nap, I told her the mower was going to get her. BIG mistake. Ever since, Hannah will yell "Mower! It's gonna get you!" at the top of her lungs and then run into the garage or house if she sees the mower even from a distance.
I giggled every time she did this but the other day we were up the street visiting with a neighbor and Hannah totally lost it when a riding mower went past the house. She was shaking, screaming, and crying that the mower was going to get her. Once the mower was out of sight, we had to run back home so she could come in the house, watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (her favorite show) and decompress.
I determined that such a fear of mowers was probably unhealthy. Luckily (or unluckily if you are Hannah), the next day the lawn service was back to trim shrubs and trees. The men were blowing all the clippings back into the grass and Hannah started to scream "MOWER, MOWER". I told her it was the blower instead of the mower. Then one of the men smiled and waved at her. She gave him her signature Hannah scowl but when he waved at her again, she finally waved back. Hopefully we are on the right track to getting over the mower fear I created! Oops....
No comments:
Post a Comment