Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Newest Aspiration

for my children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cP26ndrmtg

I can't connect the video with blogger but if you click on the link, you will see the performance of my favorite Christmas song.

Today it hit me: in about 7 years, I can have my own children perform this for me!

I have always loved music, probably spurred by having a grandfather who was a music teacher and literally had me sitting at a piano pressing keys before I could even hold my head up properly. It was a sad day for me when at age 10, after 2-3 years of piano lessons, it was decided that my keyboard was not going to cut it anymore and there was no room in our house for a piano. I instead turned my musical prowess to the saxophone for the next 8 years, where I was first chair for both my junior and senior years of high school. Both my middle school and high school band teachers told my parents that if I had a little more drive, I could have been a superb player. Unfortunately, I was too busy being mad about being forced to be in band to focus my attention where my talents really were. Hindsight and all that.

Anyway, I digress. The point is that as I was listening to "Christmas Canon" today, I realized that I could train my children to sing this! I still have the rudimentary piano skills from 15 years ago and with a little practice, can certainly accompany them. In fact, a piano is one of the first pieces of furniture we will be purchasing for our next house in like 5 years. Jake doesn't know this yet, but I already have it planned out.

Digressing again. Back to the point, listening closely will reveal that there are two lines to the melody. In just a couple months, we will have a fourth child. That is two kids to each part. I've already started laying it all out in my head. We'll wait about 7 years just so the unborn has a chance to grow before I start the training. In my ideal dream world, I'll also have a child who can play the violin so we can cover that part as well. But look for my children putting on a performance of "Christmas Canon" in about 5-7 years. It may be a performance that will only take place in our living room, but gosh darn it, I will make this a reality!

Regardless of where the concert takes place, just thinking about it sends chills down my spine. Of course, I'm taking it for granted that they will sound just like those children on the video. But they will. I'll find a way. Watch out Von Trapp family singers, here come the Wendorff's!

No comments: