Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Waiting, waiting, waiting

Finito is in no real hurry to get here. Good thing this is the last one because I have a hunch it may (heaven help us!) be the most difficult and/or stubborn of our children.

My doctor had mentioned the possibility of elective induction at 39 weeks a few weeks ago. I have waited for my appointment today in anticipation for weeks. There are two criteria for elective induction: 1) Baby at 39 weeks and 2) everything soft and pretty well thinned out down there.

#1 - check, #2 - uncheck times 12. Ok, maybe that's a bit dramatic but nothing is thinning out or changing to allow the baby out. Its little head may be right there but it isn't trying to find the exit. According to my doctor, inducing when things are not thinned out is like trying to push something through a locked door. It's not happening. Since I'm not interested in a 20 hour labor, we have to now wait for either Finito to make an appearance on his/her own timetable or until my appointment on Monday. Since I'll be past my due date on Monday, then we can discuss induction for real.

Sigh. I'm running out of things to do around the house to prepare. I clean almost every other day in anticipation of something, anything happening. While the contractions are there, they tend to last an hour or two and disappear. Jake has joked for months that this will be a Super Bowl baby. At this point, he may very well be correct. And as long as it happens before I have to really get forceful with Dr. Sabal about evicting this baby, I'll take it. What really adds to the difficulty is having never actually lasted until a due date. The twins were 2.5 weeks early for obvious reasons (there being two of them in case that wasn't clear enough) and Ellie was 5 days early. This getting closer and closer to my due date is new territory and super frustrating.

So now we just continue to sit here and wait. Wait for little Finito to finally decide the time has come to join the world. I knew this one was trouble when I found myself suffering far worse morning sickness than with the twins and Ellie combined. Just come soon little baby. Mama gave up mentally a few weeks ago and can't take this much longer!

No comments: