Friday, March 5, 2010

Hoarder!

I have a cardboard box addiction. I admit it. It's a really bizarre item to hoard, but I just can't bring myself to toss them in the recycling. My garage has at least three different stacks of boxes with nothing in them. Why am I saving them? I don't honestly know.





*Perhaps this is due to moving 5 times in less than 4 years. It really is a nuisance to start collecting boxes a mere 10-11 months after you just unpacked and got rid of the last lot.
*Or perhaps it is because I have always had a thing for cardboard. My mom will recall the year or so when I was eleven that I "rescued" empty toilet paper rolls. I had a gigantic garbage bag full in my closet before I finally got over the compulsion to save them.
*Or perhaps I feel that I just might need them to store something. Nevermind that we have some 10-15 plastic storage totes in the garage as well and at least 3 are currently empty.
I really can't pinpoint the reason why I can't get rid of these boxes. I do know, however, that something will need to be done with them soon. Jake has commented on the cluttered feel of the garage several times. Thankfully he hasn't investigated yet. I know that as soon as he discovers that the mounds of empty boxes are the problem, they will have to go. As I seem to have a sentimental attachment to them, I would like to be the one to dispose of them. The only way I see fit to do this is to rid of one box each week. At this rate, I should finally be free of empty boxes by July. What are the chances Jake won't put it together before July?!

1 comment:

Sternberg Family said...

Liss, the box obsession is totally because you are a professional mover. Do not blame yourself. Your life circumstances have forced you to value something as insignifant as a piece of cardboard bent into a nice sized cube. I know your pain, I feel your pain. My husband basically had an intervention last summer and until recently (because we're moving) I had NO boxes. I missed them. A lot. :)