Thursday, April 25, 2013

Georgia from my iPhone

Jake and I finally got with the times and decided to get smartphones.  While we said up and down and everywhichway that we felt smartphones were ridiculous and wasted people's time, we are absolutely in love with them.  Not only can I check my email but I get pinged when a new one arrives!  For all the craigslist transactions I am involved in when either selling or buying something, it really makes it convenient to just glance at my phone versus go up to the loft and fire up the computer. 
 
Another advantage is the 5 megapixel camera on the phone.  It's good enough for a few decent shots to commemorate an event and is less bulky than my DSLR so I like having the convenience of having my phone, email, and a camera all in one spot.  I also downloaded 3 toddler apps for Hannah and they were a blessing with all the wait time on our flights.
 
So before I move on with the baptism photos and all the house updates we've done in the months of March and April, here are the last of the photos from our trip taken on my iPhone:
 
The girls on the plane from MSP to Atlanta.  M&M's at 8:30 am?  Yes if the alternative was Hannah laying on the floor of the airport store sobbing while I just bought a water for the baby's bottles!
 
So excited to finally be there and at the beach!

 I sent this to Jake to torture him while he sat at work in a snowy MN in April.  I'm nice like that :)
 
I don't remember if she took Alex's hat from him or if he put it on her first, but she loved it and kept making the silliest faces with it on!  While we were at Huc-a-pu's, a little restaurant/pizzeria/bar on Tybee, there was this table of 3 college-aged kids behind Hannah.  The guy had dark, shoulder length, curly hair.  She kept asking me if she could touch it!  It was hilarious!

To think that to my parents, this was just another ball in the tote of beach toys.  To Hannah, it was her best friend on the beach!
 
"Oh ball," she'd say as she'd give it a hug and a kiss.

Walking hand in holes together....



This is what we looked like on the flights. Ellie engrossed in her Nook, Hannah climbing all over the seats and foot space, and the baby laying out because she isn't used to be held for 5 hours straight. 
 
Our return home wasn't easy as our plane from Savannah to Atlanta had an engine problem. We sat, loaded on the plane, for an hour while the pilots and mechanics solved the problem. When we got to Atlanta, we had already missed our connection to Minneapolis. The computer system automatically rebooks you on a different flight home. When I checked the slip, we were marked stand by on the next flight from Atlanta to MSP at 10:50 (it was 9:15 am at this time).  Our other option was already booked if standby didn't work but it had us flying from Atlanta to Kansas City and then to MSP.  We would not have landed in Minneapolis until 8:30 pm.  I went up to a ticket counter and the lady took pity on me with my 3 littles and managed to confirm 3 seats on the 10:50 flight to MSP.  We were the second row from the back of a packed flight but we were on our way home! Since we were so far back, the engine was right outside our window, which was a good thing since Hannah had some loud moments! We finally made it home after a 30 minute wait on the runway since there were about 20 planes backed up to take-off from Atlanta due to weather delays.  My iPhone is the one thing that kept both Hannah and me sane during all the wait times! 
 
Alex flew back on the same Savannah to Atlanta flight as us and also missed his connection to San Antonio.  His confirmed flight home had him fly to Chicago, then to Minneapolis, and then to San Antonio, getting in around 7 pm.  He also went to the ticket counter and begged for a direct flight.  He wasn't confirmed on a flight going out until later that afternoon but marked standby for several earlier options.  I never did find out if he got out of Atlanta early.  Poor guy!
 
That's definitely the downside to Savannah having a 16 gate airport.  Any flights from Minneapolis or San Antonio require a layover somewhere and a transfer to a smaller plane.  The positive is that you don't have to get to the airport until an hour before your flight because the security lines are usually pretty short and it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to get to your gate.  Next time, I may consider flying to Jacksonville though so we don't have to deal with a layover.  It's an hour and a half drive back to Savannah but not having to get off and back on a plane might make the car ride worth it.
 

No comments: