Thursday, August 26, 2010

I took the plunge

Well, yesterday it became official. I cracked out the maternity clothes.

This is a really difficult process for me. I think it centers on the fact that once you start wearing maternity clothes, you will be in them for at least a month after the baby is born. It is not an easy thing to decide that all your favorite clothing is going to have to just hang there for the next 6-7 months while you wear *sigh* maternity clothing.

Granted, maternity clothing has gotten cuter and more stylish through the years. That doesn't change the fact that starting to wear it is like making a very large concession. It means accepting that everything from this point on is only going to get bigger. Once you stop trying to stuff yourself into your former everyday clothing, it is like admitting defeat to the nature of pregnancy. It is accepting that no matter how hard I try to keep the size in check, I am still going to balloon up. Not an easy thing to do.

That said, these shirts are waaay more comfortable than the ones I was forcing myself to fit in. I don't have to worry if my stomach is hanging out (at least not yet anyway!). And when opening up the box of maternity clothes before I washed them, I was surprised to see that I actually had some cute shirts. I must have blocked that part of my pregnancy with the twins out of my mind.

Truthfully, I don't really mind the maternity shirts. It's those nasty kangaroo pants that get me. And I have two pairs of maternity pants: a khaki linen pair and some yoga/sweat pants. This means that with my last pregnancy and last child, I am going to have to actually take the plunge and buy some. Eeeew! However, I don't want my legs to freeze and if I spend all of winter in sweats, I will probably go crazy. I at least need a few pairs for those occassional moments when I want to dress up.

So here's to kangaroo pants and finally having to purchase a pair. Gulp......

No comments: