Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It'll Be Alright

Today was one of those days. A day when each one of my beloved children managed to drive me crazy in just the few short hours of morning. After reaching my threshold for whining, I decided we were going to the gym where I could be by myself for just an hour. Of course, this brought on a new wave of whine from the oldest.

After telling number one that her opinions are best kept in her head, I turned the radio up to drown out the sounds of all three. Being in an irritable mood, the song on the radio only increased my irritation. I turned to a different station only to find the salvation I needed for the day.

Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds" was playing and it was the very beginning of the song.

"Don't worry about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be alright."

If that wasn't the message I needed to hear today, I don't know what was. It was like God had reached into my radio and put on a song that would instantly put me at ease. There is just something about Bob Marley that relaxes the soul and takes one to another place.

I found myself back in the Bahamas, remembering the spring break trip Jake and I took in March 2006. Although not Jamaica, where Bob Marley is from, it certainly had the needed effect.


When thinking of blue skies and crystal clear blue waters, how can one even think about being upset with life?

Add in the rum concoction in a coconut and all your worries just float away.

Remembering the frolicking in the waves like a 10 year old just makes you feel younger and lighter at heart.

And I found the inner peace I needed to continue on with the day. A walk on the treadmill and some light weight lifting and I was ready for whatever my children decided to bring on for the rest of the day.
When we got back in the car, I decided to see what cd was in the player. The first song that came on was Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69". If that isn't the ultimate summer song, I don't know what is. It just added to the good day vibes I was feeling. It also took me back to the memory of July 2005 when I made Jake take me to the Bryan Adams and Def Leppard concert at the Midway Stadium in St. Paul.



The memory of a great night in the early days of our relationship just kept me on the "life is good" track that I was feeling.
And I realized Bob Marley was right. Everything is going to be alright.

No comments: