Monday, June 20, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm

There's something so satisfying and pleasant in the lead up to a thunderstorm.


Knowing a thunderstorm is in the forecast for the next day or two, there is this hurried frenzy of outdoor activities that everyone needs or wants to get completed. The sound of lawn mowers running, kids playing, and people out enjoying a delightful evening or picking up around the yard abound. The smell of food cooking on the grill permeates the air as many try to get one more grilled dinner in before the oven becomes the only option.

One of the littles suggested steak for dinner and we obliged her with steak kabobs and a hobo packet of potatoes and carrots. While the food cooked, we all played outside kicking around a soccer ball and practiced learning to share and take turns. The littlest dozed on the couch in anticipation of watching us eat the delicious dinner that she helped prep.

Following dinner, the fam headed to the park to run out excess energy that will build up again while cooped up for the next few days. In case she got hungry, the steak requester packed herself a snack: one granola bar, one carrot stick, and two cheetos. A filling snack indeed.....




Not alone in our idea of getting the most out of a decent day in a crappy MN spring and early summer, the park (better known as the nearest school playground) was full of kids. There are three baseball fields at the school and the overflow of bored siblings during ball games had the equipment hopping. The oldest little even found two friends from school to play with. The littlest little stared at all the excitement around her and started planning what items she will terrify us on next year.

I wish I had the words to describe the feeling in the air. I hear from family that I'm a good writer but I often feel that the thoughts in my head don't make it to paper or computer as eloquently as they sound in my head. There was just this feeling of tranquility and peacefulness that surrounded me. Maybe it was being out of the house and somewhere different. Maybe it was seeing the littles play and have fun. Maybe it was not having my attentions constantly requested to take care of this or that.


Whatever the cause, I just know that I felt relaxed and at peace while walking around watching the older trio play and carrying the babe. Perhaps that's where the term "the calm before the storm" comes from. That feeling in the air of the impending electrical activity and those last few moments spent sucking what enjoyment you can get out the weather before you find yourself confined to a dry space.


Carter has found his dry space.



In a humorous side note, Ava is obviously not wearing shorts in this picture. The girl will only wear dresses. This shirt, from the Wendorff Olympics, is long enough to pass as a dress in her eyes. As she climbed around, slid down slides, and hung from bars, her underwear was visible. Here follows a conversation I heard with another little girl:

Girl: Are you wearing shorts?

Ava: No

Girl: Why not?

Unfortunately I didn't hear Ava's response but knowing her, it was likely something along the lines of "just because!" Whatever she said, she decided the conversation was over at that point and proceeded to take another trip down the slide where she again showed everyone her underwear.


Perhaps it plays into my obsessive-compulsive tendencies, but there is something I love about cleaning up and putting everything away at night knowing that while I sleep, the rain will start. One of my secret pleasures is sleeping during rain. All the kids' toys are stowed away in the garage, the patio has been cleaned from our dinner prep and we even went as far as to stack the chairs, cover the grill, and put everything right up by the house in case the storm is as severe as the weatherman claims. I will sleep well knowing that my little domain is safe and secure.



The littles are all snug in their beds, exhausted from an afternoon and evening of playing in fresh, crisp pre-rain air. Everyone has been through the tub, scrubbing the dirt from the playground and the grease and water used to style their hair off. But hey, we just wanted to see if we could make it a mohawk and it was already somewhat greasy from the Aquaphor we are using to keep her eczema under control. Let's just hope this isn't a look she willing tries to replicate when she gets older!



Since I find the calm before the supposed storm so satisfying, I do hope the storm actually comes. After a busy day outside playing, playing, playing, there is a nice counter in a rainy, cool day spent inside snuggling on the couch and watching movies. I've battened down the hatches, let the storm begin!


2 comments:

Bonnie@TheFragileXFiles said...

Your family is right. You do have the words, you express yourself really well. This is beautifully done!

Tracy said...

I read your post but all I can focus on is Hannah's cute mohawk!!