Monday, June 27, 2011

Start of Summer

We have survived the first 2 weeks of summer vacation! I was worried if I would be able to survive nearly three full months with all four kids at home with me each and every day, but we are figuring out a rhythm and doing all right.

We spend a lot of time outside riding bikes and scooters. I can't get over how quick these two picked up riding a bicycle. Ellie's bike needs to take another trip to the bike shop as the flat tire we just had replaced seems to have flattened again.
All six of us went to the zoo last weekend. With 5 people requiring admission, one more visit for the year and our pass will have earned its cost. Since I'm sure we'll be there more than that, it was a no-brainer to renew our membership.

Next time we plan a trip for the zoo, we will check the weather report first. As much as I love being constantly sprinkled or rained on, having my hair start to wave and frizz from the wetness and humidity, and trying to keep my children out of all the big puddles, I think the zoo would be a more enjoyable experience with the sun shining.



Hannah had it figured out in her stroller. With the car seat snapped on it, I was able to pull the car seat shade over most of her, pull the stroller shade over that, and she was cocooned in a warm little nest. When we'd get somewhere covered, I'd peek at her to find her warm, dry, and sound asleep. She knows how to do the zoo the right way!

One plus of the rain was that all the animals were close to the glass part of the enclosures so the kids were able to get right up there to see them.

We also took in the dolphin show which Carter thought was absolutely awesome! After every trick, he had to ask me what went on to rehash it. As you can see from the picture, it would have been easier to ask his daddy but he was so excited that he didn't care that he had to lean over Ellie to talk to me.

An early afternoon of sprinkling while we quick looked at the animals was alright, but when we decided to leave, the sprinkles became a bonafide shower. We have one umbrella that covers one person. Take one glance at this picture and you'll be able to figure out who got the umbrella. The older trio didn't mind as they danced and played in the rain and puddles the entire way to the car. Hannah was snug in her nest. I commented to Jake how wrong it was that he was covered while I took the brunt of the rain. His response was that I was already soaked, what good would the umbrella do me now?! We all needed dry clothes when we got home!

This weekend we went swimming at Lifetime. Hannah's too little to actually go in the water but she can still look stylish in her swimsuit while she stands at the edge of the pool with me and occasionally dips her toes in the water.

I love the drool dripping from her mouth in the picture on the right! She's constantly a slobbery mess.

Carter was so tuckered out from swimming that he fell asleep on the couch almost as soon as we got home.


Hannah's also started trying out cereal. She thought it was ok at first.

Then Jake let her suck on a piece of watermelon. Ever since, she makes an awful face and spits out her cereal. Not sure how to move forward on this since veggies are supposed to come before fruits. Having had a small taste of the sweetness of fruits, I don't think this little one will settle for bland green beans or squash. We shall see. I'm holding off on starting actual food until she's 5 months. I did buy her oatmeal so we'll see if she likes that better than rice. Crossing my fingers that we don't have another opinionated Ava on our hands!


That's what we've been up to the first couple weeks of summer. While there are days I want to pull my hair out, there are also good days. Once we settle into a rhythm, I think we will survive. The only hard part is trying to run errands. While I did errands with 3 in the spring, I'd take two carts and stick everybody into a cart so I knew where they were. With Ellie along, the twins want to walk. Ellie is a great shepherd but there are times when the sheep stop listening and all chaos break loose. So we don't get all the errands I'd like done as I don't like dealing with tantrums in public. If only it wasn't against the law and unsafe to lock them all in the car so I could quick run in everywhere I need to go!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

What about sweet potatoes or carrots for Hannah? They aren't as bland as other veges, but not as sweet as fruits. Just a thought.

And duh - who doesn't love watermelon?! My babies are also loving it these days. (Momma, too!) :)