I'm not someone who likes to bask in my glory and revel when I am right or do something perfectly awesome. I prefer a more modest and humble approach to life. I don't want people to feel bad when I am better than them at anything.
Ah, who am I kidding?! I imagine my parents had a good laugh reading that though! I love when I am right about something and I have a hard time NOT rubbing your nose in it. I have always viewed myself as someone superior and all-knowing. Humble? What's that? The closest I've come to that word is in a book I read as a child about a pig and a spider.
I married a man who also has a hard time admitting when he is wrong, but when he is right, damn straight you are going to hear all about it! In fact, I remember that being one of the central topics in our premartial counseling with Pastor Meg. She had to keep reminding us that marriage is not a competition. We don't have to constantly one-up each other. And we've gotten much better at it. Although both competitive people by nature, we have learned to work together. Most importantly, we've learned not to rub it in the other's face when one of us is right.
Most of the time that is. Every now and then, I have to remind Jake that I really am the superior being in our relationship. Today was the perfect example. Ever since it was determined that Ellie would need glasses, I have argued with Jake that we should add vision insurance to our health plan. In order to get my point across last year, I decided to also schedule my eye exam that I do about every two years. I topped this off by buying a year's supply of contacts. Added to Ellie's new glasses last year and several visits for a slight issue, I was finally able to get my point across. I never did say I play fair!
So we added the vision insurance. And about every other month or so when Jake actually looks at his pay stubs, I hear all about the unnecessary evil of vision insurance. I knew my day to prove my superior knowledge would come, so I've just nodded and walked away. I know how to play my cards.
Today I was able to prove the value of the vision insurance. One child eye exam and a purple pair of glasses that come with a lifetime warranty later, the value has been realized. What would have ended up costing me $290 for all of the aforementioned items is a paltry $65. Granted we pay every two weeks for the vision insurance but the cost of that is definitely less than the difference between the two costs.
I do so love when I am right. I did keep the gloating to a minimum and only mentioned my great foresight and planning twice. I'll bring it up again in a week when we get the new glasses and then I will let it go. But let my little mental scoreboard show another point for me! Just call me Alissa the Great!
1 comment:
*like*
Post a Comment